G reen-Patterson Funeral Home has been a Cameron Tradition Since 1907. The tradition of the funeral business has run in the Green family starting in Alabama following the Civil war, when Charles Green, a cabinet maker and horticulturist, built coffins for his neighbors. In the early 1900's Charles, son, Charles N. Green came to Texas where he established a hardware, furniture, and grocery store all in one.
The store was located across the street from the present day, First National Bank in Cameron. On the second floor of the business was Green Funeral Home. Charles was joined by brother Leland Green in 1907.
As the Green brothers married and started families, they divided the General Store and in 1939, Leland Sr., Leland Jr. and Carroll M. Green purchased property known as the Gaston two story house and moved Green Funeral Home there.
They lived in the second story and ran the funeral home from the bottom level. Leland Sr. and Carroll were licensed by the state of Texas and during World War II, Carroll's wife became licensed so she could help in the business while he served in the Navy.
In 1948, a chapel was added to accomodatre those wanting to use this facility for services. At this time Leland Sr. and Leland Jr. moved to operate the furniture and hardware store and Carroll operated the funeral home until his death in 1974. Kathryn W. Green and family along with Larry Patterson took over the operation.
Our new facility on Highway 77 was built in 1995 and is still owned and operated by Larry Patterson and his son and daughter-in-law Alan and Addie Patterson.